As a mother, I am always looking for NATURAL ways to solve issues that happen in life. It really irrritates me to open my cabinet during illness and see all kind of medicines in there. The same medicines that have cautions on them are also the same medicines I am supposed to use to make my child better. Kind of ironic, isn’t it?
Two food items you have in your kitchen also have a punch of medicinal qualities.
Honey and cinnamon are anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-fungus. And YUMMY! May as well make the best of sick times with a yummy treat that will be EASY to get into you AND your children! Any of these recipes work great if you even **think** you may be getting sick.
Honey and Cinnamon Toddy, Tea or Hot Milk Cold Remedy
- One or Two teaspoons organic honey (local is best, especially if it is allergy related illness)
- 1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
- Hot Water or Freshly Brewed Tea or Warm Milk
Mix together in a cup. Take every few hours. This yummy remedy will relieve cold symptoms and loosen phlegm in the chest for more productive coughing.
Honey and Cinnamon Fruit Dip
- Mix 4 parts honey to one part cinnamon
- Dip fruit into the honey cinnamon fruit dip (apples, grapes, etc)
This may be an easier way for children to eat the cinnamon honey.
Cinnamon Honey Chicken
- 1 1/2 cups apple juice (or half juice and half sherry wine)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 lbs chicken pieces (8 pieces total)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, approximately
- 1 lemon, for garnish, cut into wedges
- Combine juice, honey, lemon juice, garlic, seasonings in a large ziptop
- Add chicken pieces, seal bag, shake to coat well and let marinade in the
refrigerator for 8 hours or overnight.
- Heat oven to 350°F and have ready a large roasting pan, 9″ x 13″.
- Remove chicken from the marinade, shake off the excess and set chicken aside on
- Pour marinade into a small saucepan and bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium
and boil until it has reduced to 1 cup and has begun to thicken (about 10-15
- Heat oil in a skillet and brown chicken parts over fairly high heat just a few
minutes per side, lowering heat if needed to prevent from charring- you want the
chicken to be evenly browned, but not fully cooked yet.
- Place chicken in the roasting pan and pour the reduced marinade on top.
- Bake 30-55 minutes, or until chicken is fully cooked and no no longer pink (will
vary based on the chicken pieces you use).
- Skim fat from the pan juices and serve juices as a dipping sauce if you like.
- Honey and Cinnamon Cold Remedy:Garnish with lemon wedges
Do the natural thing and HOPE YOU FEEL BETTER SOON!